Week 5, Reading B: Ramayana

Today I finished watching the film Sita Sings the Blues. I liked how the commentators discussed whether or not Rama was in the right for banishing Sita. I also thought it was unfair that even when she passed the test he still sent her away. He should have been more forgiving because she was taken against her will. I like the creativity in showing their relationship in parallel to the couple in present time. We can see how their relationship, like any other, wasn't perfect. Everyone has faults and we could see both Sita's and Rama's. Sita was sometimes too devoted to Rama to the point where she was suffering for him while he didn't seem to care. Rama was too blinded by his responsibilities as King to take his wife back.

Rama Banishes Sita 
Bibliography:

Bibliography: Sita Sings the Blues by Nina Paley.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzTg7YXuy34&t=2171s

Comments

  1. Hey Joanna! I definitely agree with the point you brought up regarding one of Sita’s faults being that her devotion to Rama was so intense, that she allowed it to result in herself to suffer from him. While she did not have to be this devoted to her husband, I believe the reader can sympathize with her pure intentions. It’s a great aspect of the story, and I think it really enhances the emotional complexity of their relationship.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to My Life

Week 13 Story: Gandhari's Story